One of the things I love best about my husband is that he’d rather spend time with me than with anyone else. This is sincere and it holds true in any situation.
Example: At most military functions I’ve attended, I find that the guys will split from their wives and form an elbow-bending group where they can jostle each other around, laugh loudly and generally behave like the primates from which they descended. This leaves the wives to gravitate towards each other, forming groups almost out of self-defense where they can shake their heads and roll their eyes at their spouses’ antics.
Not my husband. He stays with me, and not because I would be a little lost satellite without him. At the last Yellow Ribbon event before his unit deployed, I asked him why he didn’t go hang out with the other soldiers.
“You can, you know,” I told him. I have the potential to be a clingy wife since I am so shy around people, so I try to self-monitor.
“Oh, believe me,” he said. “I’ll be seeing those guys more than enough very, very soon.”
Coincidentally enough, I love spending time with him as well. So, you see, 90% of the time, we’re perfect for each other.
Make that 85% of the time. The other 15% we’re busy arguing or being mad at each other over the household distribution of labor.
Actually, 5% of the time we’re arguing about it, 10% of the time I’m mad at him over it, and he doesn’t get mad, which is even more annoying.
Housework is, without contest, the area that causes the most friction in our relationship. Often I wonder whether I’m being overly critical or sensitive, though – as I’ve written before – I do believe my way is the best way.
As it turns out, I’m not the only one. Housework seems to be a commonly disputed topic, according to my latest “Tell Me” poll.
Here are the full results:
Tell Me: What do you argue about MOST with your spouse?
Housework 32% (7)
Money 23% (5)
Children/Pets 14% (3)
Other 14% (3)
Politics 9% (2)
Work 9% (2)
Religion 0% (0)
All three people who selected “Other” provided alternate answers. The first answer – and my favorite – was:
He points out that I’m not perfect and I disagree.
Snoring! I don’t…He does!
And one sickening individual made the comment:
We don’t argue.
Shameful. Who doesn’t argue? Clearly, this person is not Italian.
So there you have it. I feel better. Do you?
Thanks for voting! New poll will be coming soon. As soon as I think of one.